Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Why not Kumquats?

How could I get to be this old, this adventurous with food, this knowledgeable about fruits --- and NEVER HAD A KUMQUAT until now? Just saying the word makes me smile. What a happy little thing it is, too. Small - about the size of a quail's egg. Bright orange. A sweet rind and a sour flesh.
The taste reminds me a bit of a Starburst candy. Having just been to sunny (but unusually cold) Florida, I popped dozens into my mouth all week long. Crunchy (you eat the skin and all) and full of flavor, they make the perfect healthy snack. It's nice to know that there are all kinds of simple pleasures out there that I've yet to discover. Perhaps a trip to Whole Foods is in order. Why not? Surprise and delight could be just around the culinary corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment