Sunday, January 24, 2010

Go Green - In the Kitchen

I admit from the start that I am a fan of the environmental movement. I'm pretty good about the little things - like using the right light bulbs, reusing whatever I can (i.e. the Sunday comics are my favorite wrapping paper), learning more about my own carbon foot print and investing in companies that are looking for alternative energy sources (thanks to my ultra green husband). My early teachers were the Silha family - the head of household being the publisher of the Minneapolis Star and Tribune. It was good for business and good for the environment. In the early 70's, before recycling was in vogue, they taught me to save my old newspapers for the recycle bin. Education played a big part in my commitment, as it does with most efforts to change behavior. So I'd like to do my part now, and help educate others about simple ways to help our planet. Here's to going green in my favorite room of the house.... the kitchen.

Richard Ehrlich's "The Green Kitchen" provides techniques and recipes for cutting energy use, saving money and reducing waste. Here's just a few examples:
1. Use plastic containers and avoid aluminum and plastic wrap whenever possible.
2. Cook for multiple meals (freeze the "leftovers" if you don't want to eat the same thing twice in a week)
3. Compost your kitchen food waste. Here's the best system I know for a reasonable price:
http://www.amazon.com/All-Seasons-Indoor-Composter-Bokashi/dp/B000TKHJAU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1264368145&sr=8-1-catcorr. It's easy, odor free, improves your garden and helps the environment. (Should I mention I work for the company that sells the product?)

Any green kitchen tips of your own? I'd love to hear. We can all go green together.

2 comments:

  1. I love your influences Mindy and our family is honored to be cited as having influenced you. (And I thought my influence was the extra lbs. I helped you put on in college from Taco Tico runs.) Actually, my brother, Steve, should get the credit for early recycling. Even before you, and our college days, I remember friends coming home after school with me, who didn't understand why we kept cans, glassware and old newspapers in our bathroom--or rather powder room! There was no mudroom or kitchen space for recycling back then. Happy changes and more ahead. Thanks Mindy! Alice Silha Reimann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recycle! Re-use!

    But mostly love ...

    Thanks, Mindy ...

    ReplyDelete