Saturday, January 2, 2010

Our Histories Unfold Around the Table

"It's true. Dining tables are part of history." Deep in the heart of The Lacuna (Barbara Kingsolver's latest epic tale), this sentence jumps off the page at me. In the novel, the history unfolding around the table was luminous - Leon Trotsky and Frida Kahlo Rivera discussing the plight of the common people. But history unfolds around simple lives as well, as families and friends gather around dining tables all over the world to share events of the day and forge a connection with each other. Who's to say which one impacts history most?

It is the dining table that draws me to the kitchen. I want to entice people to come together - and food is my favorite way to do so. This holiday was no exception. It has been a holiday filled with conversations, with love and laughter and a bouquet of food and drink - all culminating around the dining table. I am indeed a lucky girl - reflecting on my own history as one year ends and another begins.

So what recipe can I share that reminds me of this time? It could be something fancy and festive to match the significance of the year's end. But I'm a meat and potatoes girl I believe. So I'll stick with the basics. Who doesn't like mashed potatoes? It's a challenge, though, to prepare them for a dozen guests, right before the meal. This has become a family favorite for big holidays - prepared the day before, ready to pop in the oven. One of my daughter's requests. So it will become a part of her history too.

Mashed Potato Casserole (adapted from Southern Living, years ago)
3 lbs. potatoes
1/2 cup melted butter
6 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup sour cream
1 teas. salt
1/4 cup milk (or more, to make the potatoes good and creamy)
Cook, peel and mash the potatoes, adding the butter, cream cheese, sour cream and milk for smooth consistency. Add salt. Put in 9" X 13" casserole dish. Cook at 350° for 45 minutes. Enjoy.

1 comment: