Tuesday, December 22, 2009

On a Winter's Night

One reason I love living in the midwest as much as I do, is because of the four seasons we have. Spring. Summer. Fall. Winter. We get them all here - the good and the bad. And I love each one for, among other things, how they make me feel inside. Winter is a time of reflection, pondering on the year that's past and planning for the one to come. It's a time to cozy up with a good book in front of the fireplace (after the holidays anyway). A time to bundle up and go for a brisk walk - and let the cold, crisp air clear my head of mundane meanderings.

Officially, winter came yesterday with the solstice. I will relish each day of this season - maybe listen to Sting's new album (If On a Winter's Night), and certainly cook my favorite winter soups. There's nothing better than coming home from work and pulling out a big pot of soup, already prepared. A meal in itself, with a big hunk of crusty bread and bottle of wine. It's a tough decision which one recipe I should share - but my affinity for all things pork leads me to one of my favorites. Thanks Sara, for passing this along. It's a great one on a winter's night.

Sausage Zucchini Soup
1.25 lbs. of mild Italian Sausage
1.5 cups sliced celery
4 lbs. tomatoes, peeled & cut into wedges (I don't always peel them!)(can use two 28 oz. cans)
1.5 cups V8 Juice
1 teas. salt
1.5 teas. Italian seasoning
1 teas. sugar
.25 teas. garlic salt
2 green peppers
1.5 lbs zucchini
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Brown sausage, drain fat; add celery and cook for 10 minutes.
Add tomatoes, juice and seasonings, simmer another 10 minutes.
Stir in gr. peppers, cook for 5 minutes; add zucchini and cook until heated through.
Serve with cheese sprinkled over the top.
Serves: 6-8
Tastes even better the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment