Monday, December 14, 2009

Beets. By Demand.

I cannot believe I like beets. No. Let me take that back. I love beets. How did this happen? I can remember a day when you could not have paid me to eat a beet. But I'm a mature adult, now. And yes, I love beets. I believe it has more to do with my open mind than it does with my taste buds. My experience with a variety of subjects suggests this is the case. Hockey. Hanukkah. Honey. The more you learn, the more there is to appreciate. The same goes for beets. Who knew that color was so important to nutritional value? Who knew that roasting a vegetable could bring out such subtle flavor? Who knew that cinnamon could be used for anything more than sweet rolls? I'm a subscriber to the life-long learning model of cooking (and everything else for that matter). So I happily share my beet recipe, given to me by my dear friend Lee. And pass it on to my other friends who have requested it. And for those who haven't? Open your minds. Your taste buds may follow.

Pickled Beets
1 cup distilled vinegar
1 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
1.5 (more or less) ground all spice
.5 teaspoon whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leave
1 bunch of beets (three to four good sized-beets) - washed and trimmed of greens.

Drizzle beets with olive oil. Wrap in foil and roast (375°) for one hour. Let cool. Peel and quarter (or any bite-sized slivers). Put in glass jars.
Boil above ingredients in medium-sized sauce pan. Simmer 10-15 minutes; remove cinnamon stick and bay leave. Pour over beets in jars. Seal tightly. Refrigerate.
Great as an appetizer or on salads.
Caution: staining fingernails may occur!

No comments:

Post a Comment