Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Love What You Do - And Save the Rest for Later

I used to think procrastination was just a character flaw. Some people had it, some didn't. But I've recently changed my mind. I think everyone procrastinates in certain areas of their lives. So, I suspect, those highly successful people I used to think didn't have this undesirable trait - may actually be flawed as well. But by some good fortune, they have found their calling in life and consequently go at their tasks each day with vim and vigor (or at least most days). It's all about finding what you love to do.

A million examples come to mind. Personally, I've found that no matter how much free time I have, I never want to clean my house. I can think of dozens of things I should do before I buckle down and get out a mop. Like cook.

I never seem to grow tired of planning what to eat, shopping for groceries, reading about food or cooking. I was reminded of this yesterday when I had the pleasure of hearing Nigella Lawson, celebrity cook and author, talk about her own career experience. She never dreamed she'd be a cookbook author, much less famous for her work. She just did what she loved. Of course she was a talented writer, but she spent more and more time doing what pleased her - cooking for her family. Having just discover her, I can hardly wait to get her book, How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food. "A chatty, sometimes cheeky,celebration of home-cooked meals." says USA Today. My kind of gal.

So I put off (i.e. procrastinated) my household chores yesterday and took the time to do something I loved - listening to an expert talk about cooking. And I'm OK with it. Or is that just rationalizing?

No comments:

Post a Comment