Monday, November 30, 2009

For Lovers of Leftovers

How could any food article the week after Thanksgiving not talk about left-overs? They are an essential part of the holiday. And perhaps my favorite part. I love the feeling of thriftiness, ingenuity and creativity that comes with figuring out how to make use of what's left in the refrigerator. It's like a game, which I admit, not everyone likes to play. I think people fall in two categories when it comes to leftovers -- those that like them, and those that don't. There seems to be no in between. Luckily, my spouse is in the "I love them" category. It's a good thing - this week he'll be feasting on turkey tetrazzini, turkey noodle soup, potato pancakes and cranberry relish. Not a bad week (unless your counting carbs). And the happy memories of Thanksgiving Day linger around my kitchen a bit longer, making left-overs even better.

Potato Pancakes
Left over mashed potatoes
Oil (bacon grease adds extra flavor!)
Take a small hand full of mashed potatoes and form in to patties about 1 inch thick. Add oil to skillet; add pancakes and cook about 5 -7 minutes a side, until potatoes are hot throughout and outside is golden brown and crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment