Monday, April 11, 2011

Eleanor and Andy. Two smart cookies.

I recently sent a belated congratulations card to a young college graduate, with a quote on it from Eleanor Roosevelt that said, "Do one thing every day that scares you." The very next week, as my nephew moved to New York City, I gave him a card with some advice from Andy Warhol - "They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." As I reflect on the meaning of both messages, I realized my twenty-something loved ones should actually have sent those cards to me! Young people (typically) are much more willing to take a risk (change jobs) or do something daring (move). They are much more willing to embrace change (Facebook) or try something new (tatoos). It's ME that needs to heed my own advice. I don't want to get swept up in the proverbial current of change, with no control over my own destination. And I don't want to drown. So I better figure out what I can do to make the changes that will enhance my life. In my fifties, in my sixties, etc. etc. It's a lifelong endeavor. Even if I stumble. Even if it is scary. Thanks Francis and Randy, for leading me to Eleanor and Andy.

Brown Sugar "Cookie" Bars
(an old family favorite, great for graduation or going away parties)

Crust
1 Cup Flour
2 T. Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Butter
(Cut butter in to flour & sugar; pat into crust in a 9 X 5 pan; bake 325° for 10-12 minutes)

Filling
2 Beaten Eggs
3 T. Flour
1 T. Vanilla
1 Cup Coconut
1.5 Cup Brown Sugar
.5 teasp. Baking Powder
1 T. White Karo
1 Cup Chopped Pecans
(Mix all ingredients and pour onto cooled crust; bake 30 minutes at 325°; let cool and cut into small squares)

No comments:

Post a Comment