Monday, April 18, 2011

Lessons from my Mother - Part I

My mother did not teach me how to boil an egg or roast a turkey. She did not teach me how to blanch asparagus, make a roux or grow basil in my backyard. She did not teach me to make homemade vinergrettes or how to peel a mango. All these things I learn after I left home. But she did teach me the most import lesson of all - the joy of cooking.

While her cooking was done of necessity (seven mouths to feed, seven nights a week), she did it with grace and skill and love. Our dinner table was the heart of the household - and family and friends were always treated to good food and fun. There was laughter and learning --sprinkled with a few arguments no doubt -- over the course of the years. But always, it was the meal that anchored us. Good simple meals. Bar-B-Q Brisket. Grilled hamburgers. Lasagna. Artichokes dripping with butter. Homemade macaroni and cheese. The list could go on and on. And while I may not be recreating her exact method of preparation, I have tried for the same result: nurturing family and friends with food for their bellies and their souls. What a better place to begin than with a fresh, fruit pie.

Berry Pie
adapted from Joy of Cooking

Basic Pie Dough
Sift together :
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teas. salt

Measure and combine
⅔ cup chilled shortening (I use Crisco)
2 tbs. chilled butter

Cut the shortening and the butter in to the flour mixture with a pastry blender, or work it in lightly with a fork until it has the consistency of peas. Work at it a little at a time. Then, sprinkle the dough with:

4 tbs. water (If needed, you can add a touch more water)

Separate into halves (for a double crust pie) and refrigerate for about one hour. Bring to room temp before rolling out.

Filling:
3 cups black berries, 1 cup strawberries; sliced
⅔ cup - 1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 ½ tbs. of lemon juice or ½ teas. cinnamon (I used both!)

Pour mixture into pie pan lined with crust. Dot with butter. Add top layer of crust. Crimp edges. Make several small slits in the top to let the steam escape. Use pasty brush and brush lightly with melted butter and sprinkle lightly with sugar.

Bake at 425° for 10 minutes.
Reduce heat to 350° and bake 45 minutes or until juice bubbles through and crust is lightly browned (I sometimes need to turn heat up in the end to promote browning).

Let cool before serving. Enjoy!


P.S. My mother did teach me how to roll out a pie crust!

No comments:

Post a Comment